Friday, June 19, 2015

Friday Film Review: Charade

Last night the BF and I watched Charade.



It's a film from 1963 starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. Basically it's about 6 people who are looking for $250,00 that Regina's (A.H.'s character) murdered husband stole and hid. If you are really clever you'll know where the money is within the first 15-20 minutes of the movie.
Walter Matthau and James Cogburn also star, plus some other guy that I recognize but don't know the name. And if you've seen the movie it's the dude with the hook hand....who the hell is that?!

Allright, so here we go....

First off, I fell asleep twice. The first time was right after Regina (Audrey Hepburn) got accosted in a phone booth. Which was a really silly scene because the bad guy kept lighting matches and tossing them into her lap and she would say "Stop! Please just stop!" as she is brushing them away. My thought was "Why don't you just blow them out?"

The second time was right near the end, like the last 10-15 minutes, seriously. Right when we're finding out who exactly Cary Grant's character is and what does Mr. Bartholomew have to do with everything. I woke up and the title screen was on. Soooo....I have no idea how it ended. I asked BF this morning what happened and he said he fell asleep too.

For those of you who have seen it....what happens?? *laughing*

I asked BF what he thought of it and he was like *shoulder shrug* "meh...it was allright."

What did I think?

When I was younger I really liked Audrey Hepburn. I thought she was beautiful and I liked the few movies I saw her in. But now.....?

I'm older and can't stand it. Her character in Charade was vapid, naïve and just plain irritating. Two days into knowing Cary Grant's character (His name kept changing thoughout the movie and since I fell asleep I don't know who he really is) she's sitting on his lap telling him she loves him! I was like "What?! It's only been two days, girl!" BF just laughed. Plus Regina had never heard of the CIA and kept calling it CIO. Which irritated me too.

Regina is not someone I would probably be friends with. (Although her wardrobe was to die for, it was all Givenchy. Classic Givenchy at that. *drool*)

Looking back at Breakfast at Tiffany's, Holly Golightly is also vapid and irritating. I guess Audrey Hepburn's movies are meant to be fun and light hearted but looking back on them with a more mature eye I shake my head at the silliness.

A few weeks ago I came across an article on returnofkings.com . Now the writers on this site can be a bit, well.... "assholey" but I like to peruse the site and read an article or two just for the hell of it. The article was called "Why You Must Avoid Flaky "Holly Golightly" Girls At All Costs." Basically it says how these girls are typically hot, bohemian, getting by on someone else's dollar and users and to "steer clear" of them at all costs.

Now I don't believe everything in that article or even agree with it but if you don't take the writer, Troy Francis, seriously it's actually a funny read. And you might even know someone who fits that description - I know I do!

I don't know where I was going with all this.....

Just that now that I'm older (and a teeny bit wiser) I'll pass on the Hepburn movies....

Give me Bette Davis any day.

Till next time....

1 comment:

  1. Cary Grant now that was a handsome man who knew who to dress and treat a lady.
    I am sure I have watched this , but since I am not a Audrey Hepburn fan, I dismissed it from my mind. You are right about Bette Davis, now she could act.

    ReplyDelete